Friday, April 1, 2011

Capoeira.

For about a month, I tried my hand at Capoeira Angola, one of the two types of capoeria most taught in Brazil. Angola can be defined by the slower movements, the more "joga" or game that is played between the two participants, and the pace of the music (also slower). I've never really played Capoeira before, and having a little taste of it was pretty fun. The movements are pretty jarring-- they say Angola is much prettier than Regional (the other type) but for someone who's done ballet, modern, and the like for a majority of her life-- the movements seemed pretty rough to me. I did get to try out the berimbau, which was loads of fun-- and play the tambourine.

They offer capoeira classes all over the city, but I took mine at a school of dance in Botafogo (Escola de Danca Angel Vianna). It wasn't too expensive, and there were just two students in the class-- me and another woman. If you're looking to try out capoeira, I'd suggest trying both styles before committing to one. I have a feeling there's going to be one style you prefer over another.

No comments: